Choose from the alternatives A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined words in each sentence.
12. James was so wicked that all his mates abhorred him.
13. The students listened to the headmaster with rapt attention.
14. Sam was appointed the office boy because of his faithfulness.
15. We were taught that banks give credit to needy businesspersons.
16. Most men normally do not wear costly jewelry.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
17. The wall clock in the assembly hall is a white elephant. This means that the clock.
A. does not work accurately
B. is very big
C. does not work any longer
D. is very strong
18. His clothes are always out of date. This means that his clothes are……….
B. too tight
19. When it comes to honesty, Kweku is the odd one out. This means that Kweku
A. is always absent
B. does not tell the truth
C. does not behave normally
D. is very tricky
20. I stopped going out with Joe because he is light-fingered. This means that Joe is a
A. lazy person
D. dishonest friend
21. The manager’s strange behaviour made the workers smell a rat. This means that the workers became……….
From the alternatives lettered A to D choose the one which is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word in each sentence.
22. My former headmaster has consented to be my referee.
23. The suspect was guilty.
24. When school starts the national flag is hoisted.
25. We could see that mother was very proud of her dark complexion.
26. That car needs a hard push in order to start.
From the alternatives lettered A to D, the one which most suitably completes each sentence.
27. The doctor advised the patient to stay away……….alcohol.
28. You have not paid your fees, ……….?
A. will you
B. won’t you
C. hadn’t you
D. have you
29. His pair of trousers……….torn.
30. I prefer honey……….sugar.
31. If it rains I ……….my crops.
A. have planted
B. had planted
C. will have planted
D. shall plant
32. I can………. time for my homework.
A. find enough easily
B. find easily enough
C. easily enough find
D. easily find enough
33. Have you heard the national anthem………. in your language?
34. This bag is………. heavy for a child to carry.
35. ………. you dislike the girl, you shouldn’t beat her.
A. Even if
D. Of course
36. Ghana is over forty years, therefore she ……….of age.
C. has come
D. is coming
37. To be a teenager is indeed great ……….?
A. isn’t it
B. aren’t you
C. it is
D. does it
38. Alf and Pat look so identical that it is difficult to pick the………. of the two.
39. Uncle Ebo brought a carpenter who easily climbed………. the roof to repair the leakage.
40. Bola is the………. beautiful of the three girls.